Wednesday 11 April 2012

Read in 2012 - 8: The Birds, the Bees and Other Secrets

Not that long ago, I read Frances Garrood's first novel, "Dead Ernest", and posted my review here.
In that post, I also mentioned her blog, which is well worth following.
Last night, I finished reading her second novel, "The Birds, the Bees and Other Secrets".

Both the story and the characters are very different from "Dead Ernest", but the two novels still have a lot in common: Both go back and forth in time, but in a rather systematic manner, so that the reader always knows where and when they are. Both are several stories woven into one, while never overloading the reader with such a multitude of characters and threads as to create confusion. Both have a very real feel to it, making me convinced Frances worked a lot of personal experience into her books. Both show a kind of down-to-earth humour that never ridicules anyone, but makes hardships somewhat easier to deal with.

In this story, the present time is spent at the hospital bed of the main character's mother. While Cassandra Fitzpatrick is waiting for her mother to die - and for the arrival of a mysterious person who I was wondering about until quite shortly before her identity was revealed -, she mentally goes through her life from childhood to the point at which the reader finds her now.
It is an unconventional childhood, but a happy one.
Then something happens to Cassandra which radically changes her life, both inwards and outwards.
As she grows up, for a while it seems her future is rather clearly mapped out, until once again something happens that changes not only her life, but that of the entire household her mother has set up.
When she decides what to do after school, that decision turns out not to be final, either, but eventually, Cassandra finds her niche in life - it is a life as unconventional as that of her mother, although of a very different kind.

Just like with "Dead Ernest", I am not going to quote anything directly from the book; you should read it for yourself, and I think you won't be disappointed.

Frances, you can be as proud of this one as of your first book, and I do hope to read more from you soon!

13 comments:

  1. This reminds me to read one of Frances books too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds fascinating. I'm in a non-reading phase at the moment with my current book but hopefully that'll be remedied soon and I'll be onto Dead Ernest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A non-reading phase? Hmmm now that is nearly impossible for me to imagine, although I have times when I read less and times when I read more.

      Delete
    2. This time it's happening because I'm reading a book I should read and want to read but am a bit bored by in my present mood (so usually I'd just abandon it). Instead of reading with my coffee or lunch I'm doing lots of crosswords instead.

      Delete
    3. Alternatively, you could read another book first and then get back to the "boring" book; by then, maybe you'll be in the mood for it.

      Delete
    4. Yes. I had another go at The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists last night. I think I may take your suggestion on board but I suspect if I do I'll not go back. I wish I could speed read.

      Delete
  3. Hello Meike:
    We do so love having recommendations of books, particularly modern fiction, to read and whilst, as of now, Frances Garrood is unknown to us, she is certainly someone who we shall look out when next in the United Kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a kindle, you can of course download this one and Frances' other book. I did, as soon as I received mine as an early birthday present. And had it not been for her blog, I wouldn't have known of her books, either.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for the kind review, Librarian. And just in case anyone's interested (and I know you already know this), both my books are now available on Kindle for £2.50. A third (Basic Theology for Fallen Women)coming out later this year. (Please excuse the shameless advertising, but you have a lot of follwers, and the opportunity was too good to miss! Thanks again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Frances. And your "shameless" advertising is perfectly alright - as I said, I like your books and recommend them to anyone, and you can be proud of them!

      Delete
  5. This book sounds like a good candidate for our book club! I'm already smitten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a good idea! Will you let us know when you introduce it to the club?

      Delete