Monday 13 February 2017

Woodland Wanderings

On some of the blogs I read, people have been musing about how January and February are their least favourite time of the year, with the gloom and cold of winter still very much there but without Christmas and New Year to look forward to.
Yes, we're still nowhere near proper spring, even though a hint of spring is definitely in the air already - just listen to the birds in the mornings and late afternoons, and notice the considerably longer hours or daylight as opposed to December.

And few things are better to combat late winter blues than spending time outdoords.

Yesterday, O.K. and I went walking in the woods. We drove to a nearby village and took a route through woodland and vineyards, enjoying the sun once we were above the level of the rather dull, grey mist still sitting on the valley's bottom. 

Our route was not all that long, not even 10 km altogether, but much of it was rather steep. And because it was too cold for my liking to go for a run, we got all our exercise from walking up the steepest bits rather fast - we both expected sore leg muscles today, but I'm fine.

I did not take my camera, so these pictures were all taken with my mobile phone - as is so often the case with pictures on my blog, they are a bit blurred. Sorry!

This formation of rocks in the middle of the woods is called Devil's Chancel:


 A bit further up next to a really comfortable path is Angel's Chancel:



Doesn't this little weekend house look like something straight out of a fairytalbe book?


On our way back to the car. It was almost 5.00 pm, and the light was a lot more beautiful than this picture shows, really mellow: 



And all of a sudden after an afternoon spent outdoors, February does not look so gloomy anymore!

11 comments:

  1. "Not even 10 km" ... I wonder if I've ever used that expression in the context of a walk... Not lately, anyway! ;) (But you're right of course that it's good when you can find ways to enjoy time outdoors in winter too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, you walk lots, and I am sure if you measured the distance, you'd be surprised at how many km you get in during a typical walk of yours!
      I cover about 5 km on mostly flat land (such as between my hometown and the next) in under an hour when I walk, so 10 km is about 2 hours. Not a very long walk at all. But this was steep up- and downhill in the woods and vineyards, so it took a bit longer.

      Delete
    2. Meike, I wouldn't be able to keep up with you... I walk slow... :)

      Delete
  2. Even in the winter months we can have lovely days like that. In my view getting outside in winter is important. We spend far too much time cooped up in houses or workplaces. Seeing the sky and the trees is like food for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thoughts, Neil. I try to catch as much daylight as possible during workdays, too, and am lucky in that I do not have to be at the office awfully early but can come in more or less whenever I'm ready, which means I walk to the train station in daylight.

      Delete
  3. Even in the winter it can be nice to go outdoors. I must go out right now, in fact, since the sun has come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun is a huge magnet, isn't it! Enjoy your outing, Jenny :-)

      Delete
  4. The sun is such a blessing and sunshine can always lift my spirits. It's only when combined with grey dull overcast conditions that cold can bring me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Kristi. We can dress against the cold, but we can't really dress against dull.

      Delete
  5. Nothing beats a lovely country walk - as long as it's not freezing or pouring!
    We hit 86F on Sunday here - I didn't walk far in that heat! Too much too soon - but it cooled off again thankfully. I like Jan. and Feb. to be cold as winter should be.
    So instead I drove in the air-conditioned car to visit my dear friend who fell and broke her ankle 3 weeks ago - and we sat in her cool house chatting as she's unable to get around still.
    Your hike with O.K. sounded lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was neither freezing nor pouring that day. Cold, yes, but not freezing.
      I hope your friend's ankle heals well and she will soon be able to be out and about again!
      Such ups and downs with temperatures can be hard on the body. Better take it slow, I agree.

      Delete