Wednesday 21 May 2014

Read in 2014 - 18: Invisible

Sometime last year, while I was on one of my frequent hunts for free ebooks on Amazon's kindle shop, I came across this book and downloaded it, getting around to reading it only now.

"Invisible" is listed as "A Christian Mystery" - something I was not aware of when I downloaded it -, but it is not too much "in your face" about religion as to put you off the whole thing. Instead, her faith is simply part of the heroine's life, and it is very credible how her going to church and having the occasional religious discussion with a friend are woven into the story.

Ivy Malone is an elderly widow who finds she has to do something about the vandalism at a nearby country cemetery, since nobody else seems to be able - or willing - to. She has recently discovered that, to most shop assistants, people on the street etc., she has become as good as invisible; nobody notices a little old lady in unassuming clothes. While this bothers her at first, she soon learns to use this "invisibility" to her advantage.

What starts out as her only trying to find out who the vandals are and handing their license plate numbers over to the police for further action, develops into a full-blown murder inquiry, during which several people lose their lives, and Ivy herself gets into mortal danger, too.

I enjoyed this mystery a lot - you can, if you are so inclined, read it without taking much note of the religious elements in it - because the characters are so well described, and the way they talk and act is rather realistic most of the time. 

Ivy herself is great, and the way she feels about getting older, her friendship with her closest neighbour, and the other people that are part of the cast for this story, is so well written. She is quirky enough (she sees faces in the oddly shaped vegetables she tries to grow in her garden) without being over the top. She is not "too good to be true", but not completely dysfunctional like so many modern detectives, either.

Less than half way through the book, I guessed at the true culprit behind the vandalism and how it was connected with the murder of a young woman, but the full extent of what had been going on is only uncovered as Ivy herself finds it all out.

There are tnree more Ivy Malone mysteries, according to the author's website, and I'll look for them on Amazon.

13 comments:

  1. I found four of the Ivy Malone mysteries at amazon.com.........Invisible, In Plain Sight, On the Run and Stranded. You description made me buy the first one, though it is not free here, but 3.99. I'm always looking for something to read. Thanks, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Kristi! The first book was only free for a certain time, and I happened to come across it just then. The other three are not very expensive, so maybe I will get them at some stage.

      Delete
  2. Since I am of an age that's described as 'elderly' (which BTW I hate it), I would probably enjoy this book. I must say though that I loved Agatha Chirsty's Mrs. Marple when I was very young, so maybe it's not just my age. thank you for sharing this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonnie, I am "only" 46 (which was considered elderly not so many decades ago...) but enjoy reading books with characters older - sometimes much older - than myself nonetheless. By the way, I can very well relate to the whole invisibility thing. Depending on how I am dressed, especially in winter when I wear a shapeless padded coat etc., I am as good as invisible to most younger people, too.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good balance in the character and the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, and I very much appreciate that the emphasis is on the solving of the puzzle and not on the gory details of the murder.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the fine review of "Invisible." I had fun writing the Ivy Malone mysteries - at least in part because I've had experience being "invisible" myself. There are three more books in the series ("In Plain Sight," "On the Run," and "Stranded." And I'm right now working on a fifth Ivy. It's taking longer than I expected, however. "Life" gets in the way. (Such as my husband's recent 7-day hospitalization.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your husband is doing well and home again.......I am Kristi from the first comment and bought three of your kindle books this morning. Sometimes I do get carried away!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! It is always special for me when an author whose book(s) I like really replies to an email of mine, and even takes the time to look at my review and comment.
      Good to know there will be more about Ivy, I really like her!

      All the best for your husband's speedy recovery.

      Delete
  5. Wow. A comment from the author! On that basis alone I must get it. Looking at Fantastic Fiction there are some other series that look interesting as well.
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/lorena-mccourtney/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent an email to Lorena McCourtney with the link to my review and am very happy that she actually took the time not only to reply to me, but also to look at my blog and comment on it.
      Yes, the other series are shown on her website, too. The Cate Kincaid books look like something I'd enjoy, too.

      Delete
  6. I can't say that I'm going to download this just yet because I'm overwhelmed by unread books and it's summertime. When the winter comes all I have to do is start trawling your blog when I run out.

    ReplyDelete