Tuesday 16 August 2016

Yorkshire Holiday 2016: Fountains Hall and Fountains Mill

As I said at the end of my previous post, we walked on from the visitor centre towards Fountains Hall, another place you have seen before on my blog (in case you have been reading it for a year or longer). Click here for one of my older posts with some information about when the hall and mill were built and a tiny bit about their history.



This memorial is for Elizabeth and Charles Vyner, two of the Marquess of Ripon and his wife's (Lady Doris Vyner) children. According to wikipedia, Charles was a Royal Naval Reserve pilot missing in action near Rangoon. Elizabeth was a member of the Women's Royal Naval Service and died of lethargic encephalitis while on service in Felixstowe, Suffolk.
The same wikipedia entry also has a paragraph about reported hauntings at Fountains Hall. I must admit I've never heard or seen anything like it there - but of course I never have spent all that much time in the building.


I wouldn't mind having such a summer house in my garden... would you? :-)




This building, halfway between the hall and the mill, is a private home:


I like to look at Fountains Hall from different viewing points, as you can tell :-)

The mill and mill pond:


Across the path from the mill, the large complex of ruins that is Fountains Abbey starts. That, as you probably guessed, will be in another post.

10 comments:

  1. No matter how many young people have lost their lives in war, each one is one too many. So much loss is represented by each one. That said, I don't really believe in ghosts. I wonder what was being experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree with you, Kristi.
      I don't believe in ghosts, either. If you click on the link to the wikipedia article in my blog, you'll find a brief list of "ghostly" phenomenae visitors have described.

      Delete
  2. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this post and the wonderful pictures that came with it! It was like having a little holiday right here at my home office desk.

    Lovely. Thank you Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Jennifer! I am glad my posts provide you with a little holiday in your mind :-)
      Hopefully, you'll prolong your "stay" in Yorkshire with my next posts!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I also love this post with your great photos. I love it when you go to Yorkshire!
    That is a very moving memorial that you have shown us. "For your tomorrow, we gave our today", I have seen that quote before and I think is associated with a memorial in Burma. (Richard's Dad was in Burma, so I think this is why I remember it.)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/the-kohima-epitaph-1.127772
    There, I found something that had a bit about it.
    You know me, checking into something that I knew once but promptly forgot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay! I love going to Yorkshire, too :-)
      Thank you for the information about the memorial. I am like you there: I look up so many things and then all I remember on the long run is that I looked them up - not what my little research really brought up!

      Delete
  4. I had the idea that one of the buildings near Fountains Abbey (obviously not the ruins) was available for a holiday let, or was going to be. I wonder if that ever happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are at least two holiday lets there, Jenny. One is in Fountains Hall, the other is Chorister's House, the building near St. Mary's. You can see it in the post before this one. There is also "Fountains Cottage". If you go to the National Trust Holiday website (click here and put "Ripon" in the search box, you'll find them all.

      Delete